Senior Software Engineer (Full-stack, Ruby on Rails)
Our development team is growing, and we are looking for motivated talent with at least four years of experience building and maintaining web applications with Ruby on Rails. People applying for this position should enjoy crafting high-quality, well-tested code. And, since we’re a consulting agency, they should be excited about the varied challenges that come with providing world class Ruby on Rails consultancy to our customers.
MagmaLabs has a culture of teamwork, diversity, and recognition. We look for people who are collaborative, optimistic, and curious. On a day-to-day basis, we always seek to be happy, passionate, humble, growth-minded, and hungry for new challenges. Are you interested in applying for this job? Keep reading!
What success looks like
For us, it is essential to have the right Software Engineer; we know what is necessary to grow and how to mentor our existing team at the same time we deliver excellent work to our customers. We need the kind of people that care not only about crafting excellent experiences, but also about helping to improve everyone around them.
As a Sr. Software Engineer Ruby on Rails you will:
- Assist clients providing technical solutions to scale their business needs
- Implement technical solutions using Ruby on Rails in the backend —sometimes with rich front-end technologies such as React
- Participate in making architecture and application design decisions that result in reliable, extensible, and maintainable software
- Mentor fellow team members via formal/informal code reviews and pair programming
- Plan and implement strategies to ensure proper operation on a diverse web browser and mobile platforms, as well as accessibility best practices
- Prepare technical documentation when needed
- Implement testing strategies that strike an ideal balance between the unit and other types of automated testing
- Collaborate with our QA department to create integration testing scenarios whenever they are involved in your project
- Train yourself to master the tools, languages, and libraries that we use every day
- Interview potential new hires
- Exercise technical leadership at a company-wide level and influence the technology and approaches that we take with new clients
- Estimate projects using 3 point estimate and PERT estimation techniques
- Promote industry best practices such as continuous integration and delivery
- Lead by example, take responsibility and work confidently with flexibility and autonomy as a senior member of MagmaLabs
- Contribute back to the open source projects
- Applying design patterns to application and systems design
- Agile software development such as extreme programming or scrumban
- Preparation of written technical specifications
- Familiarity with UNIX and cloud platforms such as AWS. Serverless experience is considered a plus
- Fundamental experience with DevOps such as deployments, monitoring, and troubleshooting
- Real experience with security, such as knowledge of the most common cyber attacks documented by OWASP
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Boast precise and effective communication with clients and teammates in either English or Spanish (At least B2)
- Enjoy working remotely without supervision
- Have a positive attitude towards new challenges and problem-solving
- Have remarkable attention to detail
- Commit to doing what you said you would do; for example: “I’ll get back to you once I find out why the issue is happening or give an update at the end of the day about the progress” and actually send the update before stop working
Within month one, you will:
- Day 1.- Be the guest of honor at your MagmaLabs Onboarding, where you will learn about MagmaLabs culture, processes, and the reason behind why we do what we do.
- Day 2.- Be assigned to your POD team and meet your Senior Consultant, who will be responsible for your career path, 1:1 meetings, and Performance Management.
- Week 1.- Set your SMART Goals, KPI's, and review your personalized career path and training plan aligned with your personal interests and MagmaLabs’ needs.
- Week 2-4.- Be ready to be working with our clients or with our internal products from our product branch.
Technical requirements you must have:
To be successful in this role, you need:
- Ruby on Rails (4+ years)*
- Postgresql, MySQL (4+ years)
- AWS: S3, ELB, RDS, Elasticache (1+ year)
- Rspec + Cucumber a plus
*We are open to receive applications with less experience: in case you have worked in a Rails application for at least 2 years, don't hesitate to apply.
Stuff you will love about us:
Starting at $45,000 MXN
Our working hours are usually Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Flexible work schedule
- Live English classes online
- At least 20 days of vacations per year
- No dressing code
- Savings fund, we match up to 5% of the salary
- Marriage bonus
- Childcare bonus
- End of Year bonus
- Christmas bonus
- SGMM, private health insurance, and funerary expenses
- Be part of a company ranked in the top 20% worldwide according to Officevibe in employee engagement
- Offices with 100% compliance of COESPRIS certification (highest security and healthy environment)
- 100% compliance with STPS training program
- 100% compliance with NOM035, we have professionals taking care of psychological risks
- Team of professionals monitoring mental/emotional health and personal growth of all the employees
Our growth culture:
- Career Path: Our engineering ladder gives you the support and training you need to keep growing as a software engineer. For example, you'll have the opportunity to get some mentorship by our Chief Consultant Obie Fernandez, author of “The Rails Way” series and one of the most famous Ruby on Rails experts globally.
- One pillar here at MagmaLabs is to give back to the community. This is why we organize code retreats, small conferences, meetups, visits to universities, contributions to open source, mentorships, etc.
- We like to share knowledge outside and inside the company, that's why we organize MagmaTalks —a place to share ideas, tools, and different topics.
- We support the BrightCoders Academy, our talent accelerator that provides mentoring and training to the next generation of software engineers.
- We have a great process to boost team-building with our MagmaActivities! (sports, paintball, escape rooms, bowling and more).
- And we also enjoy partying on special occasions: Christmas Party, Programmer's Day, Halloween, Day of the Dead, Independence Day and more.
We’re an incredible team that builds tailored software solutions to help companies execute their vision. Altogether, we have helped develop multiple projects and built sites from scratch for more than a hundred projects across different countries. We also love to develop top talent to deliver high-quality products with rigorous execution.
Ready to join us? Apply here!